San Rafael Swell Summerville Photos
The Summerville mining district was established in 1883 where a few small veins carrying gold, silver, copper, and lead occurred. Between 1900 to 1920 the mine site continued to have much activity but only limited lead, zinc, and silver production. In 1967 Summerville was abandoned, and its workers moved on. The town of Summerville was originally a tent town scattered over a wide area. There were very few stone buildings and one small stone store. There is no record of when the town first came into existence but by 1899 supposedly it had a population of more than 500 people.
Summerville Mine Tunnels
Do not enter mine tunnels. They are unstable.