The cabin, listed on the Utah State Register of Historic Sites, was built in 1921, but the wild Swasey Boys (including Joe, Sid, Charley, and Rod) started running cattle out here decades before they finally built the cabin, usually sleeping in the open or in shallow caves. The Swaseys are responsible for naming many landmarks in the Swell, including Joe and His Dog, the Sid and Charley pinnacles, Rod’s Valley, Eagle Canyon, Sid’s Mountain, Cliff Dweller Flat, and MANY more. Some of their exploits were remarkable, including the one that occurred at a place appropriately named “Sid’s Leap”, where Sid bet his brother Charley a small herd of cattle that Sid, on horseback, could jump 12 feet across the San Rafael River. Of course, the river was 80 feet below! Sid was successful and the cows were his.
The cabin can be reached from 1-70 from Ranch Exit 129. Head west and south from Exit 129 for four miles. Turn right and continue for 1.1 miles. Turn right again and travel in a northwesterly direction for about four miles. Continue along the road in a southerly direction for two miles. Then turn right (west) and drive 0.6 miles to the cabin.