NOTICE OF RECORDING REQUIREMENT
The Utah Legislature passed House Bill 200 at this year’s
legislative session which created changes to Utah’s recording
requirements. The bill will standardize document recording in the
offices of Utah County Recorders. The bill states that a County
Recorder may require that each instrument submitted for recording
conform to the following:
1. Be on white paper that is 8 ˝ inches by 11 inches in size.
2. Have a margin of 1 inch on the left and right sides and at the
bottom of each page.
3. Have a space of 2 ˝ inches down and 4 ˝ inches across the
upper right corner of the first page and a margin 1 inch at the top
of each succeeding page.
4. Not be on sheets of paper that are continuously bound together
at the side, top, or bottom.
5. Not contain printed material on more than one side of each
6. Be printed in black ink and not have text smaller than seven
lines of text per vertical inch.
7. Be sufficiently legible to make certified copies.
The bill also allows an additional fee to be charged if the
document does not conform to these requirements which may not exceed
$2.00 per page.
The bill does not apply to the following:
2. A certificate or affidavit of death.
3. A document regarding taxes that is issued by the Internal
Revenue Service of the United States Department of Treasury.
4. A document submitted for recording that has been filed with a
court and conforms to the formatting requirements established by the
5. A document submitted for recording that is in a form required
The bill was written to take effect as of September 1, 2007,
however, due to the amount of time it will take companies to conform
to the new requirements, this office will not require these changes
to take effect until JANUARY 1ST, 2008.