Emery County | Ferron City
FERRON CITY HISTORY
About the year 1852 Castle Valley was more or less explored by indian scouts on their way to Moab from Sevier. There had been a fort built at Moab and the establishment of a settlement had been attempted which was later abandoned.
During the Black Hawk war a party of Indian Chasers, who were white men giving chase to Indian thieves, camped on Cottonwood Creek. They noted several good town sites in the valley. It wasn't until the late sixties or early seventies that any plan toward settlement was attempted. At that time A.D. Ferron, a government surveyor, had been sent into the valley to lay the country into sections and quarter sections.
In 1877 a definite policy or settlement was followed when fifty families were called by the Mormon Church to come into this country and settle. Of these families those who settled in Ferron were: Swen Larson and son, Neils Christian Larson, Nicholas Larson and wife Helena and Peterson and wife. These people left Ephraim November 15, 1877. They came over the old Gunnison trail part of the way, and down Gilson mountain. In places the road was no more than a wagon track cut with washes and strewn with boulders. It was a hard trip. The men worked all of the time shoveling snow, making dugways, herding and hunting lost cattle. In places levers had to be used to help keep the wagons on the steep hilside. In coming down Gilson mountain sometimes a yoke of oxen was hitched to the rear of the wagon to help hold it back.
Nicholas Larson had a large government wagon and so carried most of the provisions. These pioneers had flour enough to last a year, bacon, dried peaches, currants, apples, ground cherries, cabbage, onions and carrots. Mrs. Larson brought a big crock of butter which lasted them all winter. For meat the settlers traded with cattleman for it. At the end of a day's journey the small company would join in and sing, which would relieve the situation at times immensely. After traveling for 21 days the company reached Ferron Creek. The creek was frozen over which made necessary the chopping of holes in the ice in order for the oxen to stand up while crossing.
The story is told that the creek here was offered to the government surveyor, A.D. Ferron provided he would consent to a ducking in it. He agreed to this and the creek was named Ferron's. Later the "s" was dropped and it was called simply Ferron Creek. The town of Ferron was later named for the creek.
Before attempting the building of homes the settlers explored the country for a better location but on finding the feed to be scarce in other places they returned to the Ferron Creek where the feed was much better.
At this time, the present townsite of Ferron, was covered with greasewood,
patches of cactus plants and was in general a barron place.